Sustaining an agonizing, long-lasting, or life-threatening injury is a devastating, traumatic experience in and of itself. For an individual struggling with such an injury, taking a case to court can feel like just another pain. Sometimes people who deserve financial compensation—even need it—never contact a lawyer at all because they assume the law is too confusing or complicated. However, with just a little bit of knowledge and a skilled legal practitioner at your side, you can navigate a personal injury case while you physically, mentally, and emotionally heal.
The personal injury lawyers at Mazin & Associates, PC are committed to making the process of seeking justice as straightforward and easy as possible. A basic understanding of the key terms involved in personal injury law can give you the confidence you need to explore your own case.
Some Basic Terms
Even before speaking with a lawyer, you can teach yourself some foundational principles. A few important terms to know are:
- Civil law: A branch of law involving a plaintiff suing a defendant. Civil law can be distinguished from criminal law, which involves the Crown prosecuting an accused for a crime.
- Tort: A civil wrong that has caused injury to someone. A tort case might involve a plaintiff seeking compensation from a defendant because they have been hurt or because their property has been damaged.
- Personal injury law: A type of civil law in which the plaintiff feels they have been hurt emotionally, physically, or mentally by a situation the defendant caused. Often, personal injury cases rest on charges of negligence.
- Negligence: The lack of proper care. The law dictates that a person or organization can be at fault even if they are not deliberately causing harm. If they behave irresponsibly or carelessly, they could be guilty of negligence.
- Liability: The condition of being under a legal obligation. In a personal injury case, if the defendant was “liable,” or responsible, for the plaintiff’s injuries, they will most likely be asked to pay damages.
- Damages: Monetary compensation awarded to a plaintiff in a civil case.
How We Can Help
Learning the basics of civil law is a great first step towards getting monetary compensation for an injury. If you or a loved one has been hurt due to the actions or the negligence of a third party, you can benefit from the legal experience of the knowledgeable personal injury lawyers at Mazin & Associates, PC. Call us at (416) 625-2122 to discuss the specifics of your situation with a skilled legal professional.