How to Choose the Best Personal Injury Lawyer in Toronto
If you or your loved one has been injured in an accident caused by someone else’s reckless actions, finding the best personal injury lawyer in Toronto for you or your family can feel like a challenging and overwhelming task. With so many lawyers advertising online and on billboards across the city, choosing the one who not only has the experience and skill level to handle your case but the care and compassion necessary for this delicate situation can cause more than a few sleepless nights.
The truth is, hiring a personal injury lawyer is an extremely personal decision. You need one with experience, a successful track record, and one that deals in your specific injury, yes, but you also want a lawyer you connect with and can trust.
This is no small task. With so much on the line, including your health, livelihood, financial future, and your family’s stability, you need to have confidence in the lawyer you hire and the support team behind them. While an impressive track record, impressive website, and list of honors and awards are important, you won’t know whether you’ve found the right lawyer for your case until you sit down and talk with them in person during a free consultation session.
At Mazin & Associates, PC, we know this is one of the most significant and most consequential decisions you and your family will ever make. The person you choose to stand by your side throughout your injury claim is responsible for taking on negligent parties like insurance companies or corporations. They can’t waiver, and they can’t let you down.
Find out if the Toronto personal injury lawyers at Mazin & Associates, PC are right for you by calling us at (416) 625-2122 and scheduling a free consultation. In the meantime, here are a few tips for researching lawyers in Toronto and selecting the firm that is right for you.
Get a Referral
One of the first ways you can search for a lawyer is similar to how you found a great restaurant or TV show on Netflix: ask your friends and family.
You can also turn to lawyers you’ve worked with in the past for a trusted referral. If you’ve previously hired a lawyer to handle your will and estate or family law matters like divorce, ask that lawyer for a referral. They will more than likely know of a few personal injury lawyers in the area and may be able to give you a good sense on whether or not they’d be a good fit for your case. By using your existing network of contacts, you can get honest and first-hand testimonies from people you already trust.
If you don’t have a referral, there’s nothing wrong with researching lawyers you’ve found through advertising, social media, or search engines like Google. Most lawyer websites talk about the cases they handle, outcomes of past cases, and have multiple testimonials from previous clients. Along with finding out if they handle your types of cases by reading their websites, you can also check the lawyer’s rating to ensure they are a member in good standing of the Ontario Bar Association.
Research Firms and Narrow Down Your List
When comparing lawyers, there are a few key factors to keep in mind to help in narrowing your search. When it comes time for scheduling consultations, you don’t want to meet with ten different lawyers so you’ll want to narrow down your list of choices before reaching out. Some factors to consider include:
- Professional experience – There’s no prerequisite for how experienced the perfect lawyer should be, but there are some things to keep in mind. Typically, lawyers with years of experience have developed many meaningful relationships with others in the community and may also have a reputation as someone insurance companies don’t want to go up against. On the other hand, lawyers with less experience may not have a large caseload yet meaning they’ll treat your case as a high priority.
- Education – The right lawyer in Toronto should have graduated from a prestigious law school to represent you and get the compensation you deserve. Like all factors, education and background should be part of your decision, not the only factor.
- Awards, accolades, and organizations – Most personal injury lawyers will list awards, accolades, and organizations they belong to like the Law Society of Upper Canada or Ontario Trial Lawyer’s Association on their websites. In fact, Gary Mazin is the President of the Brain Injury Organization of Peel & Halton. He is also a Council Member at the Medical Legal Society.
Check for Reviews and Testimonials from Previous Clients
There are many online resources for finding reviews and ratings of the lawyers you are considering. For example, Toronto personal injury lawyer Gary Mazin’s satisfied clients have left favorable reviews on Google, directories, and lawyer-rating sites like Google Reviews. He and his team have extensive client testimonials in written and video form, which you can quickly review on his site’s testimonials page.
Accolades from satisfied clients include:
I wanted to thank Gary Mazin for everything he did for me. Retaining him was the best decision I had ever made. Gary is the best personal injury lawyer. His expertise, professionalism and kindness were always present. He was able to get me the fair settlement that I deserved because of his knowledge and support. He is a truly dedicated personal injury lawyer to whom I am forever grateful.
R. Chertok, Richmond Hill
Catastrophically Injured Client
Mr. Mazin took my case when I was injured as a result of a serious car accident. I was told he was the best personal injury lawyer in Ontario and I can confirm that he is by far. The accident caused me to experience a very tough time in my life, but everything was made much easier with the assistance of Mr. Mazin and his staff.
I was extremely impressed with the amount of attention and time Mr. Mazin and his staff put towards my case. When Mr. Mazin would speak to the lawyers of the insurance company, he showed an extremely detailed knowledge about my injuries and the impact the accident had on all the aspects of my life.
He and his staff always kept me informed on the progress of my case. Thanks to Mr. Mazin and his staff working diligently on all aspects of my case, I received the full compensation that the insurance company originally denied me. I am forever grateful and would recommend Mazin & Associates PC to anybody needing the help of a dedicated personal injury law firm.
F. Akselband, Toronto
Car Accident Client
If you’re looking for a lawyer to represent you after an accident in Toronto, be sure to do as much research as you can to find firms that you believe can handle your case. After narrowing down the list, the next step is contacting each lawyer to schedule a free consultation to meet the lawyer in person and go over the details of your case.
Have They Handled Cases Similiar to Yours?
When hiring an attorney to handle your personal injury case, it is vital to remember that not all lawyers have the same focus, amount of experience, and track record. You’ll ideally want a lawyer who has handled cases like yours and has demonstrated an ability to get a favorable settlement or verdict for their clients. While some lawyers will handle a wide variety of practice areas (injury law, family law, and criminal defense, for example), you’ll likely want a legal team that focuses on injury claims. You’ll also want to avoid hiring an apathetic or inexperienced lawyer. Remember that you only have one shot at recovering compensation, so make sure you’re represented by someone who can be effective on your behalf.
Most successful lawyers will publish their verdicts and settlements for prospective clients to view. Be wary of firms that don’t have any relevant cases to show or share. Gary Mazin and his team share some of their verdicts and settlements right on their homepage, including results like:
- 1.5 Million Settlement for an At-Fault Car Accident Case
- 2 Million Settlement for Chronic Pain and Depression
- 1.35 Million Settlement for Pedestrian Head-Injury Accident
- 1.2 Million Settlement for Single Car Accident
Be sure to do the research or ask the lawyer during your initial consultation about similar cases, their successes (and losses), and how they would approach your specific case.
Schedule a Consultation
Like a job interview or date, you can’t make a final decision on the perfect personal injury lawyer until you meet them in person. Initial consultations are usually free of charge, but it’s a good idea to ask whether or not they charge for the first meeting when making an appointment over the phone.
Along with meeting face to face so you can get a sense of them as people you’ll also go over an outline of your case. Treat this like an interview. Some cases can take months or even years to settle. You’ll be spending a lot of time with this person that’s why it’s crucial you can get along and work with them.
Bring copies of all documents relating to your accident and injuries including the police report, medical records, medical bills, loss of income (if any), and any contact you’ve had with the insurance companies. Another topic to bring up in your consultation is what the lawyer will charge to take your case. Many personal injury lawyers work on a contingency basis, meaning they take a percentage from what you win from your claim.
Evaluate the Consultation and Make a Final Decision
After meeting with a few lawyers, you should have a sense of which one you get along with the most and feel is the best fit for you and your family moving forward. However, if you are having trouble deciding, there are a few questions to ask yourself:
- Could you get in touch with the lawyer? If you were put on hold for a long time or did it take a long time for someone to answer the phone it may be a sign that the law firm has too many cases on their hands and won’t be able to dedicate the necessary time to your case.
- How were you treated in the office? Along with considering how the lawyer treated you and how he or she made you feel, you should also think about how the receptionist, paralegals, partners, or any other person you came in contact with treated you. You’ll be visiting this office or talking with the receptionist on the phone for months moving forward, so it’s essential that you felt respected and welcomed.
- Did you meet with the lawyer who would handle your case? In some cases, you may not be able to meet directly with the lawyer during your consultation, especially if they are successful and experienced. This isn’t abnormal or a bad sign, but if you aren’t comfortable with not always getting your lawyer on the line or having them call you back right away, you might consider someone else.
- Who will work on your case? Depending on the details of your case, multiple lawyers and paralegals may be collaborating for advice and to accomplish day-to-day tasks. In many cases, this can be beneficial, but keep it in mind in case you want to ask to meet other lawyers beforehand.
- Was the office, staff, and lawyer professional? Good indicators of a well-run and successful law office include being clean and organized and free of clutter. The lawyer or legal assistant you met with should have presented themselves in a professional manner, including how they dress and speak.
- Did the lawyer answer all of your questions and not rush you out? This is a complicated and involved process. The best lawyer will not make you feel rushed or hurried and will take the time to answer every question you have about your case and the legal process.
- Do you feel confident? You should leave your meeting with a lawyer feeling fully confident in their ability to get the job done. If not, they aren’t the right person to represent you.
Contact Us Today
Finding the best personal injury lawyer to handle your case doesn’t have to be stressful and unpleasant. When your livelihood and future are on the line, you need a lawyer with the education and experience, yes, but you also need one who treats you with respect, tells you the truth, and is aligned with your goals and expectations for settling your case.
To learn more about Mazin & Associates, PC and why so many people in Toronto have turned to us to help them when they’ve been hurt, call us at (416) 625-2122 or reach out online and take the first step in getting the financial compensation you deserve.