10 Steps to Take when Injured in an Accident
At Mazin & Associates, PC, we highly recommend that you follow these 10 steps.
- Contact the Police and advise them of all accident related details.
- Write down the names and contact information of everyone involved in the accident and any witnesses; if you are involved in a motor vehicle accident, obtain the insurance information as well as the driver’s licence and licence plate numbers of all other involved parties.
- See your family doctor and advise them of your injuries.
- Notify your Accident Benefits Insurance Provider of your involvement in a motor vehicle accident as soon as possible.
- If you are unable to work or go to school, notify your employer or school and advise them of the reason for your absence.
- Keep track of the names of all health professionals that you see in relation to your injuries from the accident – be sure to also keep track of the dates and times of your visits.
- Ensure that caregivers whether professionals, friends or family members, record the time that they spend caring for you and the activities that they help you with.
- Investigate whether you are eligible for treatment coverage or disability pay under any other insurance policies – check with your employer, your school and/or private plan providers.
- Keep the original receipts and invoices of all of your out-of pocket expenses related to your accident, including payment for caregiving, medication, assistive devices, etc.
- Talk to a car accident lawyer about your legal rights.